You’re one click away from subscribing to BobCAD’s YouTube channel. Access more webinars like this and much more!
Subscribe to BobCAD-CAM's CNC Software BlogJoin your fellow manufacturers! Get BobCAD-CAM’s latest CAD-CAM articles straight to your inbox. Enter your email below:
1) What is the difference between Mill 4 Axis Standard and Mill 4 Axis Pro?
The user experience for Mill 4 Axis Standard versus Mill 4 Axis Pro is quite a bit different. To start with, Mill 4 Axis Pro is sold on subscription. And no, that doesn’t mean that it’s a monthly payment or that the software can be turned off at any time. “On Subscription” just means that when you purchase the package, you get 12 months of updates, upgrades and technical support included.
Mill 4 Axis Pro also unlocks many new surface based toolpaths that you can use for 3 and 4 axis machining. We also turn on the machine simulation portion of the software, which is normally sold separately as our Machine Simulation Pro module.
So it’s quite a package with a ton of value and options built right into it. Just as a little perspective for you – the cost of our Mill 4 Axis Pro package is comparable to what you’ll typically see companies charge for their 2 axis milling packages.
2) Is machine simulation included with the Mill 4 Axis Standard?
3) For setting the start point, does it matter where you click on a profile?
4) Do you select geometry differently when creating indexing or wrapping toolpaths?
5) Instead of the tool spinning around the part, can you use backplot and have the part spin?
6) Can you take multiple passes when using the 4 axis rotary toolpath?
7) What is the relevance of the work offset in the stock setup?
8) Can I make my own 4 axis machine with STL models?
9) What kind of 4 axis configuration does BobCAD-CAM support?
10) How does the wrapping group affect speeds and feeds?
It depends on how your post is set up. On posting block 441, you have these option to change from inches per minute to inverse time.
441. Multiaxis feed type (0=UPM 1=INV on all 2=INV on Rotary 3=INV on 4 and 5 Axis) ? 0
11) Can you machine a whole part using 4 axis rotary?
Yes. The only thing you have to look out for is the rotary toolpath dipping past the axis of rotation. It would be a problem if there are open sections of your model that would allow the toolpath to cross the axis of rotation.
12) Does BobCAD-CAM support relatively large contour carvings, ones that generate millions of lines of code?
Yes. But it is important to make sure that your computer has the memory and processing power to support working with larger data sets.
13) Does BobART work with the 4th axis?
Yes. With BobART you can lay out 3D emboss models that you can then machine with your 4th axis.
14) I have BobCAD-CAM V29 Mill 3 Axis Professional – how does it work when I add on or upgrade to the 4th axis.
Great question – if you don’t currently have the Mill 4 Axis Standard package, you can simply add it on to your license. Once you’ve made the purchase, we update your license and the features turn on in your software. It’s just that easy.