In our latest version of CNC software, we rolled out a brand new intuitive interface. Below is a screenshot of the interface, providing a short explanation of each component you will encounter. There are twelve main areas of the user interface. Learning about these twelve areas and the terminology that is used to describe them is an integral part of learning to use BobCAD-CAM software. Every action that is performed inside the software is handled through one of these areas.
1. Title Bar: The title bar shows the name of the file currently open in the graphics area.
2. Ribbon Tab: The Ribbon Tabs allow you to activate one ribbon at a time. It contains all of the CAD and CAM functions of the software and is designed to give you quick access to each function. Each can be accessed by clicking its tab. This is true of all ribbons except the Contextual Ribbons. The Contextual Ribbons only appear when an item in the CAM Tree is selected.
3. Quick Access Toolbar: The Quick Access Toolbar gives you access to basic file options. The Quick Access Toolbar, by default, is located at the top left of the user interface. The majority of the menus on the Quick Access Toolbar deal with basic file options.
4. Backstage: Backstage is where all the file options, themes, help options, settings part/default, user profiles and keyboard shortcuts can be found.
5. Ribbon: The ribbons give you access to various functions.
6. Document Toolbar: The Document Toolbar keeps all of your view options right inside the graphics area.
7. Graphics Area: The Graphics Area is the visual interface between the user and the file. Will show all CAD & Toolpath data. The graphics area, also known as the CAD window, is used to display any geometry that is created as well as any computed toolpaths. Each graphics area represents a file that is currently open. For each file that you open, there is a separate graphics area. By default, each graphics area has a tab at the bottom of the screen (in the Workbook), which you can click to view the selected graphics area.
8. Docking Pane: The defining feature of a docking pane is that it has the flexibility to be docked, i.e., snapped, or placed, in various predefined positions of the main application. Besides the wizards and dialog boxes, every pane in BobCAD-CAM can be docked. These include the following:
9. Status Bar: The Status Bar displays the steps of the current operation, shows the mouse position, and allow you to set a Snap Increment, along with the active Color, Line Style, and Unit. Located at the bottom of the user interface, it displays information about the current state of the software. The status bar can be viewed as two main items, the Prompt Line and the Status Bar.
10. Contextual Tab: The Contextual Tab will show Job-related options when you click on the job in the CAM Tree. While most ribbons are accessible through their tabs at all times, contextual ribbons only appear when a particular item type is selected. BobCAD-CAM’s contextual ribbons appear when a particular job type or an item in that job is selected. Clicking on the Milling Job, or an item under the Milling Job, for instance, will bring up the Milling ribbon.
11. Document Toolbar: A toolbar that remains in the graphics area to allow access to all the view commands. These commands are used for both CAD & CAM and are available when each is being used.
12. OK and Cancel: The OK and Cancel button are also located directly in the graphics area to allow them to be accessed with ease.
Download the latest CAD-CAM software
You’re one click away from subscribing to BobCAD’s YouTube channel. Click the link below for tips, how-tos and much more!
BobCAD-CAM has provided CAD-CAM CNC Software products to the global manufacturing industry for over 30 years. BobCAD-CAM software can be found to increase CNC productivity for many applications in aerospace, automotive, production manufacturing, mold making, general machining, woodworking as well as the medical manufacturing industry, consumer products, musical instruments, custom fabrication, defense industry and many others due to the products ability to automatically generate NC programming code for such a wide variety of CNC controllers. BobCAD-CAM software is also found in educational institutions throughout the world as well as independent hobby home use. Products include machining technology for 2, 3, 4 & 5 Axis CNC Milling, Routing, Waterjet, Plasma and Laser machines as well as 2 Axis CNC Lathe. BobCAD-CAM is modular allowing shops to start off at a reduced technology level and add technology as it is needed including an add-on, BobART, for artistic machining. Unique technology includes adaptive high-speed machining multiaxis milling and routing which is a first in the world of CAD-CAM software. BobCAD-CAM also provides a variety of quality training products that include regional and online training classes or private sessions tailored to specific applications. Professional certification and multi-tiered support solutions are available. Contact BobCAD-CAM directly for more information at 877-262-2231 or 727-442-3554.