Tech Tuesday is a weekly blog that addresses some of the most common questions and concerns that I hear throughout the previous week from users of BobCAD’s CNC software. Both customers and future customers are more than welcome to leave a comment on what they would like to see covered for the following Tech Tuesday.
The Work Offset Pattern feature allows you to pattern operations around a tombstone with ease. Here in this example, we have two pieces of stock around a tombstone 180 degrees from each other. We can start by creating a new milling job and create a pocket and profile finish for the stock at the top of the tombstone shown.
After setting your necessary parameters for these two operations, you can duplicate these operations around the tombstone for the next piece of stock with the Work Offset Pattern feature. To get to this page, you will need to right-click on Machine Setup – 1 and select Work Offset Pattern as shown below.
Ways to create the Work Offset Pattern:
Here in the Work Offset Pattern dialog, there are different pattern types to designate exactly where each work offset is on the table of your machine. These different pattern type options include:
- Array –creates the pattern with a defined distance interval and number of copies along the X- and/or Y-axis direction.
- Translate – creates a pattern with a defined number of copies using either the Delta or Sketch/Enter method.
- Rotate – creates a pattern with a defined angle interval and number of copies rotated around a user-defined point or line (3D).
- Point – creates a custom pattern, by allowing you to select a start point and various endpoints to place the copies in X, Y, and Z space.
- From UCSs – creates a pattern based on the UCS you choose. The position of the Machine Setup, in relation to the WCS will dictate the position of the copies on the selected UCSs.
In this example, we will be focusing on the Rotate option for our work offset pattern:
- Set the Angle to 180
- Set the Copies to 1.
- In the Rotation Axis group, select Pick Axis.
The Work Offset Pattern dialog hides, and the Work Offset Pattern Rotation Axis dialog opens in the Data Entry Manager.
- You will need to create a line through the centerline of rotation about the rotation of the tombstone. Select that line for the axis of rotation. You can also select the start point and end point of the line of rotation.
- Click OK.
The Work Offset Pattern dialog returns
- At the bottom of this section, click Generate Copies.
The work offset copy appears in the Generated Patterns section.
By Tool Per Work Offset – will prioritize completing all operations utilizing the same tool within the same work offset before moving to the next work offset.
By Tool – will prioritize completing all operations with the same tool, one operation at a time on all work offsets, before moving to the next tool.
By Work Offset – will complete all operations on one work offset before moving to the next work offset.
With the work offset patterns created, we will verify them in the simulation.
- In the CAM Tree, right-click Milling Job, and select Simulate. The simulation launches. Notice we have a single fixture, and multiple pieces of stock. View the simulation to see the multiple operations you created around the tombstone.
- Exit the simulation.
Our support site allows you to submit a ticket to technical support online:
Our user forum is a community of other BobCAD-CAM users to share ideas and projects in BobCAD-CAM:
BobCAD-CAM has provided CAD-CAM CNC Software products to the global manufacturing industry for over 30 years. BobCAD-CAM software can be found to increase CNC productivity for many applications in aerospace, automotive, production manufacturing, mold making, general machining, woodworking as well as the medical manufacturing industry, consumer products, musical instruments, custom fabrication, defense industry and many others due to the products ability to automatically generate NC programming code for such a wide variety of CNC controllers. BobCAD-CAM software is also found in educational institutions throughout the world as well as independent hobby home use. Products include machining technology for 2, 3, 4 & 5 Axis CNC Milling, Routing, Waterjet, Plasma and Laser machines as well as 2 Axis CNC Lathe. BobCAD-CAM is modular allowing shops to start off at a reduced technology level and add technology as it is needed including an add-on, BobART, for artistic machining. Unique technology includes adaptive high-speed machining multiaxis milling and routing which is a first in the world of CAD-CAM software. BobCAD-CAM also provides a variety of quality training products that include regional and online training classes or private sessions tailored to specific applications. Professional certification and multi-tiered support solutions are available. Contact BobCAD-CAM directly for more information at 877-262-2231 or 727-442-3554
New Feature Spotlight – Tell us the topics that are most important to you Click Here